TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I personally think most idler stud failures have been
People Seeking Info

Subject I personally think most idler stud failures have been

Posted by LitlElvis on August 07, 2017 at 8:33 PM
  This message has been viewed 457 times.

In Reply To Bending vs tensile test. posted by Schmeal (NV) on August 07, 2017 at 06:00 PM

Message due to improper installation of the timing belt tensioner or misaligned/crooked idlers while torquing their studs. But, there is a demand for "upgraded" idler studs so I'd like to see what I can do to fill that demand with something that truly is an upgrade in all aspects.

If we look at the entire fastened joint, a properly torqued stud provides preload to the much larger diameter base of each idler. The idler bases isolate their studs from any bending forces and either the stud's preload or the base material's (plenum: aluminum, block: iron) tensile/compressive strength would need to be overcome before any lateral or angular movement of the assembly could occur - so I think the stud's material YTS should be of value here. My guess is the RZ stud strength is less than stock because the weakest point is the minimum cross section so the larger shoulders don't help here, there are no signs of being heat-treated after machining, the threads are lathe-cut, and the material is generically identified as "chromoly" or "grade 8".

The bottom line is I agree the RZ shoulder is the only upgrade, but not because of bending resistance, instead because it helped to locate the idlers closer to center during installation and ensured proper preload was obtained during torquing to prevent any movement during normal operating conditions.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.